Friday, February 20, 2015


I've been going for a walk every afternoon after work for an hour. I'm getting into the rhythm of it again, it has been about 3 weeks now. It's good, I'm pleased with myself. 

I'm home at 4.35, living close to work is the only way. If I had to spend 2 hours in peak hour traffic each way every day, I might just act out too. Then it is a cup of tea and two pieces of vegemite toast. Then the head phones are on and off I go. 5 to 6, it is my walking hour.

The Rolling Stones have been getting me walking. My favourite album, Black & Blue. My favourite albums, Beggars Banquet to Tattoo You, thirteen years of The Stones to get me walking.

It was hot yesterday afternoon, I may have got a little sun burnt. I wore a singlet, it is good to walk in, as I feel cooled by the air. I haven't been out in the sun much this summer, however. I guess that's not very sun smart.

Sam doesn't want to walk with me. He walks to work, he says he does enough walking. I'm cool with that though. Besides, he'd want to talk and exercising is serious business. No talking aloud. 

I've only just started listening to music. I used to be all zen about it,  (if that is even the expression) clear my mind, enjoy the solitude, listen to myself breath, feel the quiet space in my head. But, my right shin used to hurt, everyone nodded and sagely said, "Shin Splints." The music is a distraction, it seems if I don't think about my leg, it doesn't hurt. I've slowed my walking down just a bit in time with the music, and my shin doesn't hurt at all.

An hour's walk every day, that is the goal. Weekends off. Although, Sam and I tend to walk to Victoria Street, or Carlton, or the city, on the weekends so I don't really have those days off at all.

No comments: