Saturday, July 04, 2015

That Explains It Then

I was waiting for it. I wondered how long it would be before that murdered footy coach's son was said to have been on Ice when he stabbed his father. I think it took less than 24 hours, and there it was on the front of the news paper today. I am not even sure if it ever has to be proven, in our drama ridden society, I think it only has to be suggested.

Sage-like nod. "Did you hear the son was on ice." 

"Oh." Knowing look. Nod nod. 

(That explains it then)

Does that give us comfort, there is the explanation, or drama, that is the explanation, I'm not sure.

The big boogey men of the 21st Century.

The new catch phrases, that as a society we, seemingly, couldn't live without. I'm not sure if we have just become incredibly lazy, you know, something to do with the modern sound bite? Is it the dumbing down of society, everything gotten for its least cost. In an increasing technologically driven world we seem to only understand the 3 word slogan. Our pathological liar of a prime minister took it to a whole new level where it just had to be a slogan and it didn't even have to be true. All style and no substance, that is what will mark Tony Abbott's prime ministership, but I digress.

Anybody who is drug effected is on Ice.

Any act of a madman is a terrorist attack.

Anybody bitten by a dog was attacked by a pitbull.

Maybe, we always need the bad guy? Maybe, we always need the enemy? Maybe we need that to function as a society? Maybe we need that to feel safe. There is the danger and there are the people who are going to save us from that danger, clearly defined, today namely it is Tony Abbott and his police state. I am beginning to wonder.

No comments: