Sunday, March 09, 2014

How We Spent Our Long Weekend

I was awake early. I still had the headache from last night. I tossed and turned. I looked at my watch, it was 7am. Damn. Exhale. I got up.

I made coffee and cleaned up the kitchen. I had got the back door key and was just about to slide the key into the lock of the back door, when Sam came through the lounge door.

We both stepped out onto the back veranda and bent down to peer into Buddy’s kennel. He’d built his mattress wall, it must have been cold last night. He came straight out of his house, of course he did, Sam was there.

“Oh Favourite, good morning.”

Sam made the music choices very difficult, as he was determined for us to listen to some streamed music. A good song, followed by four that become incrementally more annoying with each one.

We sat at our twin laptops, with a bulldog lying in between.

The morning was cold and full of shadows. It was cold, it was wintery cold rather than summery cold. I know summer just ended and that Autumn has just started, but it, actually, felt like it. Funny, huh? The shadows seemed to close in around us, the SS Bliss.

Are we just a couple of boring sods? Or are we contented? It is sometimes hard to tell the two apart.

Sam slept a lot, intermittently waking up to say we must do something. I’d reply to him, I am ready to do anything, honey. I’d roll a joint as we are pondering the problem, we’d smoke it. Then we both fall asleep again.

We lazed around, unashamedly, the whole hot, afternoon. It is something very nice about double brick houses, you can laze about in them when it is hot, they stay cool. We wanted to go outside and exercise, but it is in the thirties, and too hot to sweat. We talked about it. There was a lot of talking about it.

We ate bananas.

We lazed around some more. I slept on the floor, with the big, black cushion. Sam joined me. Buddy tried to join us but he didn’t quite seem to get it. He sat on the cushion, he would have sat on our heads, if we let him. Still, it made us laugh.

We ate left over rice noodles.

Tina Arena sang. Wasn’t it good.

Sam slept more. On the couch. Zzzzzz. Funny, I have only just noticed, he always said he felt nothing, that it was wasted on him, and here I was knocking him out. He isn’t sitting looking at me bored anymore, he lies his head down and sleeps.

It was a very relaxed evening in front of the TV. In our pod. We remain in our pod. The three of us.

We took Buddy for a walk, late, when it was dark, when the air temperature had turned from day to night. The cool kiss of the evening. It was too hot before that, it was a hot day. We met a man who owned a French Bulldog who said that Buddy was beautiful.

Eight feet padded along the footpath.


No comments: