Friday, August 10, 2018

Religion Rules?

Sam and I take Buddy to the dog park. Buddy meets up with his buddies and they run a round.

The kids are playing sport on the oval, taking up most of the oval, but that's okay, sport takes up room.

Recently, we have been told that we need to keep our dogs away from some of the kids because they can’t have contact with the dogs for religious reasons. Really? (Grimace) It is a park in which the dogs run around. The kids don’t have to have contact with the dogs, that is up to them, not us. It is a dog park, as well as a sports oval, it is a shared use facility.

Don’t tell me what to do with my dog and I promise I won’t tell you what to do with your gods. In my atheist world view, my dog is real and your 2000 year old beliefs are nonsense, but I’m not trying to change their lives with my beliefs. I say nothing to keep the peace. I have no animosity towards the kids, or their religion. If your religion brings you happiness I’m happy for you, but don’t try and use it to change my life.

I just find religious beliefs too ridiculous for words. (But, I guess you all know that already?)

Something, someone, may, or may not have said, over 2000 years ago is relevant to my dog's happiness in 2018 how?

I bristle at religious beliefs being held up as sacrosanct. Maybe they are sacrosanct to you, but they are not to everyone.

And how much of this is the religious adults imposing their views on their children? I ask you?


No comments: