Monday, April 07, 2008

The Marriage

It was a small bluestone church, not that either Gavin or Steve were religious. The minister was a friend of Isabella's - also a friend of Dorothy's, Gavin suspected, although the priest was making no admissions. When Gavin heard he said why not - semi rural setting, picturesque. Steve wanted to do it more as a political point, however mostly he just wanted to please Gavin, who a commitment ceremony seemed to mean a lot to.


Joey and Isabella sat in the front row, of the Douglass Clan. They'd made good on their threat and were now back together, often acting like a couple of love struck teenagers.

"If mum and dad get all gooey," said Carla, leaning through from the pew behind to Claudia and Jasper. "I swear I'll puke."


The Grandcourt family sat on the other side of the church. Steven's parents sat together.

Both sides viewed the other side suspiciously.


The two grooms stood at the front together in dinner suits. They looked radiant. They touched unashamedly. There were no bridesmaids, just Steven's two brothers, Adam and Scott, as best men.


Grandpa Jo leaned through to Joey and Isabella. "If I live until I'm a hundred, I'll never understand why two fine young colts like that want to play in the same fucken paddock."

"It's a modern world now Jo," said Isabella.

"I think they make a handsome couple," said Grandma Jess. She laughed. "I think they would have beautiful children.

Jo pulled back to his seat suddenly, swinging around to face his wife. "Don't talk fucken nonsense, Jess," scolded Grandpa Jo. "You amaze me sometimes."


The organ played. The priest entered through the vestry. The music stopped. "Welcome," he said.


I do.

I do.

The grooms pashed unreservedly.

 

No comments: