Friday, December 30, 2016

And Just Like That It Changes

By 4pm we were hot and desperate. Then there is a thunder storm and pouring rain. The temperature dropped by a comfortable degree, 10 degrees. That’s more like it, that’s how Melburnian’s like it. Some of the most changeable weather in the world, where I live, some people say. I like it, there is always cool following the heat.

Big thunderstorms, much rain, parts of Melbourne flooded. The temperature drop was very nice. Our atrium leaked, first time in years, bloody yucca plant next door and it damn fronds blocking the gutter. I'd only just checked it a few days ago. Clearly, I am going to have to resume my poisoning raids on the yucca in the new year. The rain fills the pond.

We walked to Coles. Sam bought mince pies and biscuits and ice creams and ice cream, I was sure I was witnessing Sam’s first stoner munchie raid on Coles. He didn’t say anything, so I didn’t either. I don't think he realised, it was a proud moment.

We walked passed a blocked street drain on the way back from Coles, I immediately started looking around for a stick. Sam said, "Keep walking."


We watched TV. The days between Xmas and New Year are a wasteland, unless you go away. You need to go away, we should have gone away. We have been lying around doing absolutely nothing. Buddy hasn't been for a walk for days.

Today, it is overcast, but warm. The rain has freshened the air we breath, it feels like all the pollution just got washed away and we are left with nothing but a sweet floral scent. It is the bouquet of Fresh.

The family Xmas lunch got changed to today, from all the heat of yesterday, so we still have to go and do that. I don't really see the point of Xmas lunch, unless you do it on Xmas day, or Xmas Eve, otherwise, you've missed it, it should be next year now. In a world I ran, quite possibly. Still, Buddy will get to run around with the farm dogs. The kelpies seem to want to round him up to start off with until Buddy bounds around very unsheeplike. Then they just seem to circle him, as if one is saying to the other, "He's not from around here." Then they sniff his arse and, of course, they are buds after that.

"No, hang on he's one of us. He's one of us."

"He's one of us, yes he is."

"What happened to your face, mate?"

I'm sure Buddy would have a very smart, inner urban retort to that. He's mixed with the hip inner city dogs and commission kids. Still, you can't really use ant-eater as an insult, not easily. Maybe that is it, he just calls them ant eaters. I guess I shouldn't judge the dog world, by my own cynical world view.

Sam gets up, 8.30am. We have to take Buddy for a walk. I reckon it is going to rain. I should tell Sam that, he hates walking in the rain.

No comments: