Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Boss Apologises?

So, Pope Benny is going to apologise for the sexual abuse perpetrated by catholic priests.

So, is that for past abuse, abuse that is continuing, as I type, or is that for the abuse that will occur in the future?


Sexual abuse perpetrated by the moral guardians of society? It's a strange concept, huh? Trouble with credibility?

It's the whole celibate thing. I was reading recently that the vast majority of catholic priests are not celibate - not only alter boys, but young men, girls, young women and, an apparent favourite, women who have been widowed/left alone in their parish, for whatever reason.

I've written about Father Patrick, most recently. He's sexy and sweet, don't get me wrong.

I'm sure I've written about my Auntie (through marriage) Ruth, the nun, who has had a thirty something year relationship with Father Murphy. They now live together in retirement and have had a relationship longer than most marriages.

The parish priest from Daylesford, who certainly wasn't celibate, or straight, who came to comfort my friend Philip when his boyfriend Steve died; who ended up comforting Philip physically right into bed.

And this is knowledge that comes from someone, me, who grew up Anglican.

How many Catholics get divorced? How many Catholics use contraception? How many Catholics have abortions? How many Catholics are gay? - other than the priests. After which, the Catholic message has disintegrated.

The Catholic Church is adhering to perception, which has very little to do with reality. They are trying to sell a story that is no longer true.


1 comment:

Adaptive Radiation said...

Yes. Quite a bit of hypocrasy going on there. The Marist Brother who taught me religion at school just got a 2 year sentence after being charged on multiple accounts of indecent assault in Canberra.

Ad Rad.