Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Well, That Would Be It Then

What a glorious golden afternoon for the last day or 2008. Sapphire blue skies, sunny and warm with the promise of a future that shines.

It wasn't like that around here this morning, let me tell you. We'd dipped out on getting tickets to the parties we wanted to go to, so we had no where to go and nothing to take when we got there, Worst of all, we had nothing for when we got home. We'd been slack. How did we let this happen? Woe is us! It wasn't looking like shaping up to be a very fun and happy new year.

Darkest hour, silver lining. Good things come...

Guido, THE MAN!, popped in around 10.30.

"Yeah, yeah I got your message," Guido said. "I thought I'd be here before this. Sorry I didn't respond."

"That's okay," we said, trying not to sound too panicked, only to sound more panicked, I'm sure.

"Well, I was going to go have breakfast first," said Guido. He looked at each of us and laughed. "But, I guess, you want to go shopping first?... by the looks on your faces." Children around the Xmas tree Xmas morning, dog's face as you open their food for the night.

The three of us agreed in unison. "Well take the shopping option, thanks Bob!"

He laughed again. "I'd already saved you 9."

"Oh, we probably won't need quite that many..."

"Even better," said Guido. "All the more for me," he spoke at us. Yelled. Laughed again, maniacally.

"How many bags?" he asked. "May I suggest 2." He did that eyes up in his top eye lids, as he looked from each of us. Disagreeing will be boring and I will win anyway.

So cheered up was I after that, I have now had a hair cut, bought some new T-shirts, bought a new pair of undies, as I knew I didn't have any clean. Washed all my skanky undies with the pile of dirty clothes that have accumulated over 2 weeks. Three guys living together, we battle for the washing machine. I chatted to my mum, looked on the Internet to see if I could find her a new dog, so we had a long chat. It's kind of sad for a woman who has celebrated new year in London, Paris and New York, not to mention on topical islands in the Pacific, is going to be in bed by 9pm new years eve. I've even been to the framing shop and rehung that painting that has been off the wall for... how long? Well, it's a new year.

I'm quitting smoking Monday, the 3 days I spend in Brisbane with my family for our delayed Xmas, that'll teach 'em! I told them I didn't want to go! I'm still pissed off I buckled under the weight of female disapproval.

David, Shane and I are heading out to something within walking distance tonight, staggering distance home. Good thing we live in Fitzroy. Boy's night out. The three of us have a laugh when we are out together. Big smile.

Now I'm drinking vodka.

Happy New Year.

 

No comments: