Saturday, February 04, 2012

Food and Shopping, Shopping and Food

We were awake early, 7am. We both woke up, bing eyes open. It was cool at that hour, the breeze blew through the open balcony doors. Lovely. We chatted quietly and as sparsely as the hours of the morning. I love that gentle, relaxed, intimate almost whispering, certainly croaky, first words of the morning. It is almost conspiratorial... just the two of us, with the vast world out there somewhere. Those small moments give life its colour, its depth, its meaning. It’s not money, it’s not wealth, it’s not what people think of you. It’s your lover’s breath on your cheek when the day is still new.

I held Sam in my arms, he felt good. He felt nice. He smelt good. I adore him when he is half asleep... not that I don’t adore him when he is fully awake, I do. So we kissed and cuddled, there in the early hours of the morning as the cool breeze blew, instead of going back to zzzzzz, drifting off. He protested a little to start off with, saying something about it being okay for me, being able to sleep in any day of the week I chose. Every morning is the same, or is different, it didn’t matter to me. He only got two mornings to sleep in. But, I soon convinced him… otherwise. Big smile.

Then he was telling me in the shower not to wash my hair, that we were only washing the sweat off and then we were crawling back into bed, but I didn’t listen, I didn’t understand what he was saying, as I luxuriously let my hair slip under the warm water, as he was still speaking in his sweet dulcet tones, the melody that is his. And then I could tell by the somewhat sternified… (do you like that I just made it up)… becoming stern, smile slipping from, look upon his face. There was clearly something I had missed. So, I slid my head from under the warm water.

“What?”

“I see.” He smiled. “You are going back to bed with wet hair?”

Is that really a question, I thought? “No. No, I am not.”

“I wanted you to come back to bed.”

“Oh.” I smiled. I was awake now and besides, I can sleep in any day. “I didn’t hear you, my head was under the water.” I smiled again.

We walked into the city. We were heading to Carlton for our favourite Japanese, but as we were going to the city anyway, we changed course and headed to the CBD instead and had lunch, brunch, in China Town.

We went shopping for a kettle and we looked at headphones, which all seemed to be on special. Where else but Sam’s favourite shop, Harvey Norman. We looked at headphones for ages, trying three different types, one after the other, then repeat and then all of them again and then again and again. We swapped from the shops ipod to Sam’s iPhone and then back again. One was heavy, one was light, but didn’t have any controls, and the other was stylish but considerably more in price. The heaviest one was the cheapest, but the sound wasn’t as clear and it was very basey. The clearest sound had the mid price of the three, but no controls. The most expensive had controls, but the sound wasn’t quite so clear.

We looked at phones, a retro styled dial look phone for $18 took my fancy. I wanted it, but Sam said it was too heavy… and, as I have found before, being tied to a corded phone now a days can be a pain in the arse. We are so spoilt now… cords, or lack there of and weight are important. I wondered what “they” would have thought of that one hundred years ago when “they” cranked the handle and asked the operator to connect them?

We looked at kettles for just as long, as we pissed around with the headphones. We headed down to Big W to make our choice, who’d have thought there was such a variety in kettles. It is the good and the bad about modern day consumerism – all we really need is a tin kettle to sit on the stove, but we all love choice, now don’t we. Flat bottoms, bottoms where you could see the element. Spout filters, no spout filters. Water indication levels on one side, or both. Black, white, stainless steel. Lids that open smoothly. Spouts that you can fill through without opening the lid. Centre electricity connection, rear electricity connection. Switches on the base, or on the handle. Different temperatures for the different types of beverages you may want to make. $7.95, or $175?

I ended up buying the new version of the kettle I already had, which cost $40.

We went shopping in the Asian grocer in Russell Street for our dinner, just a short stroll down from QV. Chicken wings, salted fish and bok choy.

We walked home from Russell Street in the bright sunshine and the heat, drinking a mandarin slurpee.

It was hot.

Sam marinated the chicken wings, in curry powder, vegi stock powder, honey and a little soy. They smelt good.

We did the last of the gardening in the front yard, as the chicken wings marinated… me sweeping and pulling out the unwanted plants and Sam sitting on the front step giving me moral support.

I made orange jelly and green jelly with orange jackfruit inside. We ate the orange one, while we waited for the curried chicken wings to cook, on the couch with one spoon between us. I just wanted a taste because I was hungry but Sam said, “Bring it to the couch then.” And we devoured it, as we watched reruns of Frazier and Two and Half Men and Big Bang Theory.


No comments: