Friday, August 16, 2013

Back Into Life

I took photos driving to work, as I did yesterday. I like the contrast between what I have been doing over the last three weeks and what I am doing now. Urban shots of every day life in Vietnam, compared to urban shots of where I live and my life as I live it. It is funny how everything seems so clean in Melbourne when viewed with relatively new eyes. Clean and new. That won’t, of course, last for very long as we very quickly become blind to what is around us and we don't see those things right in front of us. But, while it seems new again, my journey to work can be documented with the images that I see. I like capturing the everyday. I like capturing those small things. I like capturing the everyday happening.

I have to be careful taking shots from the driver’s seat, however, as cars have come up behind me so silently a couple of times, I guess, I have been concentrating. Oops, suddenly there is a set of lights and a grill bearing down on me, like a benign Christine. I am sure, the drivers were thinking, what is this idiot doing? Move! you fucker. Blush. Like I'd be thinking.

I'm documenting life, my friend. Stop and smell the roses… life IS too short.

Get out of the fucking way.

Friday and I am already slipping back into work mode, already settling into those rhythms, the daily grind, sadly. Why wasn’t I that fabulous travel writer as Mark suggests I could be? Morning, day, night, the vibrations are settling where they are, 9 to 5, this is what life is, head down, hold on the first step was a doozie, but it should be all plain sailing from now on. Fingers crossed. 


I felt tried for the first few days. 

I still haven’t managed to quit smoking. I didn’t smoke all day yesterday until I got home, but today I caved and headed out to the shop at morning tea for a gasper. Idiot! Still, there is the weekend to do it. I think it is always easier on the weekend, not so many stresses.

No comments: