Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Home Sick

I got to work feeling fine. The office seemed to be hot when I got there, but that is nothing new, as two of the five girls in the office must have reptile blood running through their veins, as they always complain that they are cold.

My manager arrived late, complaining about the heat in the office as soon as she got there, so I thought, maybe, it wasn’t me.

I felt, essentially, fine, I made a cup of coffee, and got to work. But then I started feeling sick, and the office still felt hot and I felt sweaty. The back of my shirt seemed to be sticking to my skin. Not long after, I started to get a really bad head ache, starting as a painful dot in the middle of my brain expanding exponentially, like a bladder of pain was being inflated in the middle of my head. I tried to do a spreadsheet for one of the HR girls and I could barely get it together. I was feeling nauseous. And hot. I was having trouble concentrating. It was at this point, I decided I needed to go home.

I got home feeling nauseous with an aching head.

I lit a fire, which may not have been needed now that I am stripping off clothes again.

I pissed around on my computer, looking at pictures of Rihanna posing outside a mosque.

Then I decided to make some lunch. There was pork belly in the fridge, Sam told me. All I had to do was cook some rice. Cook 3 cups, the rest can be used for fried rice. Don't forget to rinse it.

Don't forget to rinse the rice.


Don't forget to rinse the rice.

I rinsed the rice. I would have done it, without reminding. I tipped out all of the white starchy rice water, with the intension of giving the rice a second rinse. I was just tipping out those last drops, when the rice pot slipped out of my hand and most of the rice fell into the sink.

Bugger!


There were our dirty breakfast bowls in the sink, covered in soapy water, as I'd washed my hands before I started to rinse the rice.

I decided, at that point, just to stop trying to do anything and pull the blanket over me.

I lay on the floor with Buddy in front of the fire for the rest of the afternoon, listening to the rain fall on the roof. Listening to him snore in my ear, just like Sam does. I pulled my hoodie over my head. The flat floor was surprisingly comfortable, I thought, as my body drifted in relaxation.

No comments: