Thursday, June 12, 2014

If you don't like the cold, don't come to the best city in Australia, we can live without you

Mark and Luke are about to arrive from up north. It will be good to see them, even if they seem to whine about the cold the whole time they are here. What is it with N.S.Whalers? 

"Yes, yes, we've heard it all before."

"Oh really... you did realise it was winter, didn't you?"

"If you don't like it here... why come?"

"Oh, man up!"

They are my best friends and I don't really mean it, the complaints, but "isn't it cold here" is like having a busted toe, you get over it pretty quickly.

I'm sure most Melbournians just smile and think, pussy. Roll there eyes and think I wouldn't trade the coffee and the style for anything you have... or don't have, as the case may be.

Yeah, sure, it is warmer where you live, you are further north. And of course it is cooler here as we are further south. It is true, there is no denying it. So get yourself a woolly jumper, or some thermal undies, if need be and enjoy your visit. Or, come in summer when it is definitely not cold here. It isn't rocket science guys.

'They' never get much sympathy from me, as I like the cold. I don't feel it, either, which, I guess, counts for liking it somewhat. I like the cold embrace of a frosty winter morning rugged up in warm clothes, heading out into the street, my breath puffing out in front of me visibly. I like open fires. I like thick veggie soup. I like roast dinners and the warmth from the stove warming the kitchen. I like the coziness of a warm house when you come in from a cold day. I like the difference of the seasons. If I had to choose and I'm glad I don't have to, as Melbourne is plenty hot enough in summer for anyone, I'd choose the cold over the heat any day. At least in the winter you can get warm easily enough. I find the long dry heat of summer hard to escape from.

Anyway, I'm off to the doctor to have my toe looked at. Yes, it is still sore and swollen, and I am a bit sick of walking around like one of the 'injured'. But it has been much better since I started taping it to my next toe. Doc Johnny at 2pm, the man of so few words. I'm not complaining, you understand, I like it. He says what is necessary and that's it. Pity there aren't a few more people like it in the world.

No comments: