Friday, October 10, 2014

Welcome to The Midnight Motel

His friend's friend from the country were coming to stay, after drinking too much at lunch, she didn't feel like catching the train back home to The Mount and it had been suggested to her that he had a spare room by their mutual friend. She said she was glad that he was home. She said she loved the motel he ran. It was a joke he and his friend had and she'd obviously been let in on it.

"Welcome to The Midnight Motel, mother will be pleased. Come this way, I'll show you to your room. My name is Norman, what's yours?"

"Marion," she squealed.

He gave her a recriminating look, she composed herself.

"What a lovely name."

His doberman was lying in the hallway outstretched.

"What a delightful dog," said Marion. "What's his name?"

"Fluff. Stay away from him, he bites."

"Oh." She gazed down as she navigated the dog, which didn't move. "Do you live at the hotel?"

"Oh... um... I live out the back, with my mother."

"How delightful," said Marion. "Will I get to meet her?"

"Um... er... no. No, I don't think that will be possible."

"Oh that is a shame."

"Would you like some tea?"

"Oh, yes. But, I might take a shower first. I was sitting in the sun all afternoon and I just feel like I need a wash."

"Oh, okay. A shower. Yes, take a shower. I assure you, you'll feel different after you take a shower."


No comments: