Sunday, August 02, 2015

Cleaning My Brass

I polished the taller curvy vase a few days ago. It is funny when you have a close look at something that you see every day and you notice how dirty it is. It was amazingly oxidised, is that the word? Not one millimetre of it shone. It was a really odd dirty matt yellow kind of colour, so I got out my polish and my rag and I scrubbed it clean. When I was finished I put it back on the mantle piece and, to tell you the truth, I was horrified at what I had done. In scrubbing every square centimetre of patina from its surface, I turned it from looking like something antique to something from Copper Barn. There was only one thing to do, no not roll it around in the garden until it was dirty again, I had to clean the other two. And now all three off them have an unnatural shine to them. They glint at me in the mornings as if to say, here we are, odd looking aren't we. Like eyes in an old portrait, they seem to follow me all around the room... mocking me. smile emoticon

No comments: