Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Tuesday Morning

Tum di dah. I'm just sitting here in the morning light, cuddled up to my bulldog, as the light breaks and shimmers, as I finish my first coffee. It is 7am.

The coffee machine makes a bup bup bup bup sound as Sam makes his coffee.

The sun is shining in the trees beyond the back doors, in many shades of green, like a Derwent pencil box. I can almost see the hand of god colouring them in. Almost.
 smile emoticon The mornings are lovely, this time of year, a great time to be alive. The trees are many shades of bright colour in the crisp morning light, a wall of leaves framing the world. The sky is turning bright blue. Mornings are clear and serene and alive and new, all at once. They shimmer with possibilities. What did my father used to say?

"You wouldn't be poor for quids." I'm not exactly sure why those words come into my head, but dad, I can still hear your say them. I can hear your laugh. (How did he like his apricot jam? I guess you'd have to be a Fletcher to know the answer to that one.)

I must get going, but it is just nice sitting here. Go get in the shower, scrub up and head to work. The mornings pick up speed once the light is shining all around. It was what I did yesterday morning, no doubt, it is what I will do tomorrow morning and the morning after that. The spinning wheel. The days repeat themselves so quickly, Monday, Wednesday, Friday and the weekend is over. But, the mornings are lovely, walking in the fresh, new air, breath it in. Breath bigger, greater, deeper. Lung bucketfuls. When I travel, it is the thing that I always notice, the smell of a city in the morning.

Buddy snuggles in and rests his head on my leg, almost as if he can feel me getting ready to get up. I rub his ears, they are soft like velvet and I can feel him relax against my leg again.

Better finish my coffee. What is it that my mother used to say. I can hear her say it too.

"Must get a wriggle on."

smile emoticon

No comments: