Wednesday, July 20, 2016

1984


The houseguest (Mark, my exboyfriend) hs departed for parts... um... er... known, the boyfriend is at the salt mines, chip, chip, chip. Patricia Highsmith amused me for a day with her wonderful little stories, but such a quick read. So, time to get my nose buried in another book. What to read? 

I was inspired by a question on QI the other night. The audience was asked to put up their hands as to who has read 1984? Apparently, people say they have read it when they haven’t. Then the audience was asked to put up their hands who had lied about reading 1984? I thought to myself, it has been so long since I have read it, can I even really remember it? 

So, I scuttled off down to my book shelf and found my copy. I looked at the publish date and it said 1981, so I reckon that was probably when I read it last. Dear me, how many years ago was that? So tucked up in bed with Buddy on one side and Fluff (we're dog sitting for friends, have I mentioned that?) on the other, I opened to the first page. The problem being that my copy is falling to pieces, all the pages have come lose and are slipping out as I hold it up. I can’t read like that. So, it looks like a trip to the second hand book shop is now in order. Damn it!

No comments: