Tuesday, July 12, 2016

I Don't Want More Choices, I Just Want Better Options

I suggested we go to the movies last week, when Sam, and I, were at a loose end. Sam said, "Wait until Tuesday."

I invited Jill to come to the movies too, she's always up for it. True to form, Jill has an massage at 11am and an appointment in the city at 4pm. What time does that leave for a movie?

So, it comes down to Victoria Gardens, or the Jam factory. The movie selection was abysmal, what was it the choice between Finding Dory, or Mike and Steve need brains... er... dates.

I was just in the shower, and getting ready when I had a moment to myself and I thought, what was supposed to be a spur of the moment thing to fill in a few hours, last week, has become a highly organised and scheduled event to a movie that I really have no interest in seeing. How did this happen?

It is somewhat of a metaphor for modern life, I chuckled to myself. Capitalism gives us more and more choices, but due to cost restraints and manufacturing economies of scale, and the shareholders profits, more and more they are choices that none of us really want. It is a brave new world. Indeed.

Bring on the shit movie and the shit food and the crap seats and a good fucken time will be had by all.


No comments: