Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Quince Cake and Coffee

I went to Rachel's for lunch and we ate upside down quince cake and drank coffee. It was lovely, too. It rained a bit, I love the rain, its tinkly sprinkly kind of wetting of everything. Drip, drip, drip, did the garden. On the deck we both stood as I smoked a cigarette under the eaves avoiding the rain drops. The sky grey, in an over cast day.

Rachel was waiting for a builder to arrive to look at the leaking shower in her en suite. The builder and I were supposed to arrive at the same time. Of course, the builder never showed up.

Rachel told me how my childhood sweetheart, ex girlfriend, Leah, is in town and how she'd wanted to stay with Rachel, but Rachel's kids don't like her. Rachel's daughter was listening and she said, "I guess that is awful."

"No, not awful," I said. "I don't like her either." I haven't spoken to her in 6 years, she is just too much hard work. I reckon she will eventually be diagnosed with some kind of mental disorder, her personality is so out of whack, and she'll be put in a home at a young age.

"Good to have kids to get you out of these situations," said Rachel.

It is kind of sad, as we were all teenage friends together, but Leah moved to Sydney and picked up the worst Sydneysider traits and that is she is so self-focusesd that she is totally blind, or doesn't care, about the effect she has on the people around her. None of the old group of friends like her any more, and she has no idea.

Rachel and I just shrugged, referring to Leah, as I left. "Oh well," I said.

"Whatever," said Rachel.

"We don't have to be friends just for the sake of it," I said. "She is a fucking nightmare, I can't be bothered..."

"Me either," said Rachel. "Life is too short..."

"If the only thing you have left is sentiment," I said. "Other than that all I got from her was pain and criticism."

"Lucky we're perfect," said Rachel.

"So lucky," I said.

We giggled  conspiritualy, kissed, kiss, kiss, and I left.

No comments: