Monday, December 03, 2007

I Win, You Fucker!

Dusk fell and I could see what they meant by midnight blue, as the sky changed colour. I sat on the edge of the coffee table and watched through the window and waited for the possum to come out. I could hear it moving about in the roof, so, I assumed, it was getting active. I knelt on the floor and watched it actually come out of the suspect hole, for the first time; the first proof that it was entering the house in the place I had narrowed it down to. (with a little help from the possum man who turned and ran) It pushed it's nose up into the air, just like Babe the pig.

Shane and Matt had just left for the underwear party and David and his friend, Tom, had headed out for dinner intending to join up with Shane and Matt.

I watched the possum walk along the top of the fence and thought, This would be the time to act.This would be the time to put the eradication plan into action. I should do it now. I could do it now. No, I could, really, do it now. I could do it!

So, I got my shoes and headed out into the back yard to select the appropriate wire, feeling energised by making a decision. The possum was still on the fence and as I stood just a few feet away from it, as we eye-balled each other, I said, "Hasta la vista baby!

So, I got up on the fence, as the light turned to dark and rolled the chicken wire into rolls and proceeded to feed them into the missing course of brick work - again, bloody tradesmen not completing their work properly - inside the gutter. I got the first roll fed into the cavity, no problem; kind of had to bend it around a ninety degree bend to get it into position. But the second roll proved to be more problematic and no matter how hard I shoved and shoved it just wouldn't feed freely in like the first roll did.

I kept looking around so the possum couldn't sneak up the fence at me and attack. Are possums aggressive like that? I don't think so. They bite if cornered, viciously, don't be mistaken, but I don't think they come in the attack variety? But I couldn't help but check from time to time.

I pushed, I shoved. I even had my neighbour, Beck, come out to ask me what I was doing. I was also just a wee bit stoned. And, by this stage, I couldn't see, too dark.

I was exhausted. I was cut on my arms. I was feeling decidedly wobbly after trying for fifteen minutes to feed that second, damn, tube of wire through, so I reluctantly stopped, hoping that I had pushed in enough wire to stop the varmint.

My arms and legs were shaking, as I climbed down from the roof.


No comments: