Friday, May 31, 2013

My Last Day at Snodgrass and Co

It rained all day. It was grey and wet. Cyclones were predicted? Or was that torrential rain? Or was it the end of the world? Did they expect people to die? Or were they just hoping for that, so they could sell more news hours? I’m never really sure any more when it comes to the news now a days.

The simple translation for 21 century news programs – we could expect it to be wet.

It was my first day at Snodgrass and Snodgrass when I didn’t take my lunch to work with me, so I had to go out and investigate what the local cafes had on offer. And I found out that in the back blocks of Richmond they didn’t offer much.

I bought a $7.50 pie for lunch. It was nice, true, but then it would want to be, I reckon, for that price. I was going to buy two, but just as I was making up my mind I saw the prices on the wall. $7.50? For a pie? Really? If I’d seen the prices first, I may not have ordered one at all, but as it was, I was committed to a pie purchase by then and I didn’t want to be shown up for the cheap skate that I really am. But $15 for two pies, really? Fuck off.

Today was my last day at Snodgrass and Co. I had been entertaining myself with the thought of me and Buddy, both with coffees, sitting at the coffee table at 8.30 Monday morning, having kissed Sam goodbye, with nothing to do, with the day at our feet, yet t be decided. If it rained, even better.

But alas, they offered me more work.

“Do you want to work for another four days, next week?”

Lovely… ? er… I was quite looking forward to having some time off. Three weeks full time work is exhausting, but if the money is offered, of course, I say yes. In my line of work, I get enough time off just naturally in between the roles I am offered.

“Oh yes.” Sad face.

I was going to do lunch with Jill next week, possibly Tuesday.

Jill headed to Deniliquin yesterday to get (father) Lachlan and she came home with him today. Today was the big reveal, when he got introduced to Bear, the new puppy. I asked Jill if she was going to tell him before they set off back to Melbourne, you know, to get him used to the idea.

“Are you mad? If I did that I’d get a four hour lecture, confined, unable to escape. A captive audience,” she said. “At least if I tell him when I get home, Bear and I can get up and leave, if necessary. But,  am hoping it wont come to that. Cross your fingers.”

She waited until they walked in the door at home, back in Prahran.

His response was instant, “I see I am here for a limited time only then.”

He cracked the shits, completely. Oh yes, he’s very cross, saying Jill had put Bear before him and now he is moving out into a nursing home forth with. He says Jill has left him no choice.

No choice, I say? You are just being selfish.

Sam and I walked in the rain under an umbrella to Woolworths. We bought pasta and prawns for tonight and we bought chorizo and tomatoes and olives for tomorrow night’s pasta. Yay, a night off from going to the supermarket, you have got to love that.

It rained and rained and rained. But walking with my baby is romantic, I think. I’m sure he is scared his hair will frizz, as he always seems kind of afraid of the rain. Maybe, he wears make up and I just haven’t picked? I must pay better attention when I lick his face next time.

Jill called to say that she felt really awful. She was angry with her father. She thought her he would fall in love with Bear… and he didn’t. He’s pissed off with her. She’s pissed off with him. He had headed to his room to pack his bags. She had stomped off up stairs to her bedroom and slammed the door to sob on her bed.

Or something close to that.

I said she could bring Bear over to my place and she could stay here with Sam and I. Yes, bring the puppy to my place, that is what I said. Jill thanked me and said that she would. Not quite what I’d envisaged, shrug, how hard could it turn out to be?

It poured and poured with rain. We were forecast to get a years rain in twenty four hours, or some such thing. The thunder was very loud rolling in the sky. It boomed above our heads, again and again.

Buddy was scared. He leapt about and barked at the back door at the noise.

The lightening lit up the night, quite regularly there for a while, turning day into night..

Buddy shook and ended up sitting between Sam and I being cuddled and comforted. We both patted him, as he looked at the windows with big, scared brown eyes.



I an on a drinking binge , I tried to give up today but the pain of withdrawl was too much , I am going to do it again on Monday and Tuesday whan I have a fully stocked fridge so (mother) Aileen can eat . If not I had better go into Rehab as this time it's just too much , should only take three days . God knows why I keep doing this but I do . I may be scarce on this medium as a get so stupid when im drunk . Wish me luck , love Anthony xxx



Good luck luv, you can do it. You have done it before, you can do it again. Christian



Thanks, Anthony x



I have a very scared bulldog here. Is it pouring with rain and rolling with thunder out your way? It is here, there have been very loud claps of thunder and very bright flashes of lightening. I'd forgotten how scared of the noises in the heavens are our canine friends. He is now sitting in my lap. Christian



Poor luv , im frightened , it has been deluging here all day but now it a flood with all the accompnaments ( my spelling) of a tornado . Give Buddy a big cuddle from me .A(nthony)



Buddy slept on his bed in our room. Well, I thought he did. He jumped up on our bed twice, that I knew of. But then, I fell asleep and, apparently, Buddy jumped up on our bed again and Sam had to put him out because he wouldn’t stay asleep on his mat.

But I slept through all of that.

No comments: