Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Travelling to Work

I live on the edge of the CBD, so where I want to work is a no brainer.

Driving through the suburbs in the morning to a suburban office seems so low rent, seems so sad, in a sense. There you are amongst the surfs, the drones, the industry fodder. It seems so middle income, middle class, old fashioned. So unsophisticated.

Where walking to work seems so up to date, so 21st century, so stylish, so up market, so sophisticated, so cool. Meditative. Modern.

Driving in the peak hour traffic, at the mercy of the traffic flow, the trucks, the trains, the idiots driving slow, the morons who can't get out of their own way, seems tantamount to failure. Rush, rush. Stress, stress. "Get out of my way idiot!" A punishment. (torture) Assault.

And I only have to travel fifteen minutes to my current assignment. Imagine travelling 2 hours out to the boonies every night... and back again in the morning. "Sorry, sorry, there was a truck tipped over on the freeway. It was raining really heavily. Someone's head exploded." Oh, thank god that isn't me. Kill me, I'd ask. Beg. (Drive into the path of a train)

It is a mad scramble, driving, dependant on any number of things, effected by so many people, at the mercy of so many elements beyond one's control. It brings the rat race into your face, smash, wham. THERE, HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT? Arrrrr!

Walking is so fluid, nothing to really stop you, or to get in the way, or to impede your journey. It is a nice way to start the day, a gentle build up to full concentration. It does seem so sophisticated, now. Funny how things change. I'm sure the car was once the most modern thing. But now, to me, it seems like a necessary evil to be bought out only when it is absolutely needed. To have your working life dependant on it, just seems like the middle of the 20th century.

I hate working in the suburbs. (even if it is the inner suburbs)

The suburbs are a poor substitute for a city job.

No comments: