Saturday, November 29, 2014

No Queues in Fitzroy to Vote.

We decided not to go early to vote, last year when we did that it seemed like all of Fitzroy thought they'd go early too.

We ate lunch sitting out in the sun on the footpath in Smith Street. It was a sunny day, the sky was blue, the breeze blew. A good day to change government. I ate Nasi Lemak. Sam ate that Asian version of gnocchi, I have no idea what it is called.

No queues in Fitzroy to vote
, just a handful of people, we had to wait a few minutes. I had to go to the local table, Sam had to go to the aliens voting in an electorate that isn’t their own table, as we usually do, so we always vote alone. We even got hedgehog on the way out. 

Fat?

No.

Money for charity sweetie, money for charity.

No sausage sizzle, I was disappointed. Not that I wanted one, of course, we'd just eaten lunch, but it is always nice to smell the sausages sizzling in the breeze. 


There is something forever connected with elections and sausage sizzles. Perhaps, it is metaphoric, Who comes before us daring to say they know how to run the country, risking having their sausage cooked on the metre of public opinion. You know, something like that.

3 comments:

Adaptive Radiation said...

I made the mistake of going early and got stuck in a queue. Next election, I will go for nasi lemak instead.

Jackie K said...

I found your blog via Princess Pandora. I like this post - voting in a nutshell. There is a lot of snide talk about people not caring about politics and only caring about the sausage sizzle but that is totally wrong and your post sums up why. The sausage sizzle, in my opinion, represents people power and community spirit, and that's what people enjoy in the voting process.

FletcherBeaver said...

I like voting, I like going down to the polling booth. I see some neighbours only at the voting booth. I take a great interest in politics. It is fascinating.