Thursday, February 05, 2015

It Was The Most Beautiful Day

It was the most perfect afternoon in Melbourne today. Just glorious.  To get out into it, that is what was needed, although I was rather more inspire by my having-quit-smoking-yet-again inflating weight that the beauty of nature, but still it certainly was enticing. I went walking with The Rolling Stones playing in my head phones. iPhones are wonderful things, I can take my whole music collection walking with me, even if my black case thingy stopped me from using my really good head phones, for some reason the jack kept popping out and the head phones kept going dead. I had to rummage around in a draw to find my superseded models. And then halfway around my circuit I wondered why I'd bought new headphones at all. Oh those marketing types have a lot to answer for...

I stopped walking because I kept developing a pain in my right shin, which would ache so severely I'd be almost crippled in agony by the time I'd got home. I tried to push through it, "Don't be such a fucking pussy," I could hear ever personal trainer, sporty type, in the world saying to me telepathically. I know that is true, but I just couldn't seem to push through it, the pain just got worse. But lately, I have been walking Buddy and I realised that I didn't get a pain walking him, him stopping at every lamp post withstanding. So, I have decided to start walking again, taking it down a notch in its intensity and adding music for something to distract me from thinking about my leg.

So today was the first day and a lovelier one I could not have picked.

Jumping Jack Flash got me walking up Gertrude Street. I love that intro, that riff is unmistakable. If ever you want to get moving... (I often say that Freddie Mercury was the greatest rock and roll singer this world has ever seen, but really the greatest rock and roll singer this world has ever seen is still alive and he is still rocking baby) The sun and the blue sky and the people, the colour and the movement and the perfect day, it felt like the opening to a movie playing out in my ears and in front of my eyes. Or, maybe, it was a music video? It was hard not to dance at the lights.

I was the observer, all I could really feel was my feet touching the ground, as the containment of the 360 degrees of sound kept me removed and safely in my own world. I was looking in from outside, walking through. Walking into the bright sun, heading west, it was like walking into a new story. This is where we begin. A brave new world.

No comments: