Thursday, April 09, 2015

Harder Exercise


I’ve been walking every night after work for an hour. I put my headphones on, I crank up the dance music and off I go. I thought I was doing well, but apparently, the latest thinking is that just walking is not enough and that we must do more strenuous exercise than just walking. 

I used to run, way back when, when I called myself a runner, when I felt like a lithe gazelle and I loved it. But, it has been a while, as I no longer thought that the high impact was any good for me. It was so different today when I gave it a shot, like it was something that I used to do, that was how I felt, like I was once a champion, but no longer. I felt like an elephant lumbering into action.

I ran after a jogger who ran passed me, that was when I got the idea. I read about it yesterday in The Age, then today when the guy in the blue tracksuit pants ran past me, I seriously thought I'd just do it. I ran through the park. Then I walked. I ran up Johnston Street for a few blocks. Then I walked. My knee didn't seize up. My leg didn't fall off. And it felt good.

Maybe I'll run some more.

No comments: