Sunday, September 27, 2015

Changing Weather

I am getting so sick of the cold, me, the person who quite likes the cold, me, an inhabitant of the great southern town. (Sorry Tasmania, I'm not considering Hobart, despite it being Australia's 2nd harbour city) But it has been a cold year, I don't remember it being so cold so late into the year in other years. (We had open fires into September)

But, the last few days have been gorgeous, crisp and sunny. You want to do things when the weather is nicer. You want to leave the crypt more often when the sky is blue and the sun is shining.

I've been up on the kitchen roof fixing the broken kitchen chimney flu, which, on the high roof of an old terrace really tests my fear of heights. Sam encouraged me and he got on the roof with me, terrifying me when he got close to the edge and peered over. We managed to fix it, muddling through as we do. We reinstalled the old cap and concreted all around it.

Maybe after that we felt inspired... warmed by the sun.

I've repotted all my plants. A little late, sure, but it is still spring, after all. The sun does make us smile, about that I think there is little doubt. And although there is great pleasure to be had from open fires and long walks on a wind swept beach, I think the sunshine does make us feel alive.

The leaking toilet, leaking guttering, leaking roof and building a carport are all next. Let's hope it is a nice long summer.

No comments: