Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hump Day

I made it out the door, I wanted cigarettes. I got to the milk bar and realised I didn't have a lighter, but the nice milk bar lady produced one for me. I stood on the footpath and inhaled, as a tram sailed by. I took another puff and looked back the other way to see another tram approaching, just behind the other. I puffed on my cigarette and observed that the 2nd tram was practically empty. I contemplated chucking the cigarette and making a run for it - really, just across the road. I looked back the other way to see if a 3rd tram was coming, feeling a bit like a clown at the carnival, as I did. Tram number 2 pulled away and tram number 3 didn't materialise. I watched both 1 & 2 disappear out of sight, around the corner into Nicholson Street.

There was a soft sun and a gentle breeze. I looked at the time, it was 8.34. I looked up and down Gertrude Street a few more times, still feeling like the clown. Close your mouth Christian, I thought. I laughed to myself. It seemed like such a gentle, calm morning standing there on the footpath watching the world go by. Life. I looked at the time again and it was 8.40. Then, I don't know why, I just thought fuck it, I'm going home. Just like that. No agonising over the decision, like I usually do. No second thoughts, none. I headed back into the milk bar and bought the newspaper and then sauntered back down Gertrude Street to home, feeling free and brewed some coffee.


No comments: