Friday, March 20, 2009

Catch Me If You Can

The dark eyes looked back at me from the revision mirror of the white Boxter in front of me. Slick back hair, olive skin, black eye brows, intent eyes. Good looking all right, that much I could tell.

I couldn't help but smile.

Then the eyes were in the revision mirror on the driver’s door. Looking. Staring. Were they flirting?

I could feel my eye brows raise up, almost despite myself.

The lights changed to green. The Porsche took off. He indicated at the first corner. He looked at me from the internal revision mirror. He kind of flicked his head.

Okay, I thought. I’m game.

I turned at the last minute and accelerated around the corner, right up to his back bumper. He shot away in front of me. I pushed the accelerator to the floor and caught him. Parked cars either side whooshed passed. The Porsche squatted down and slipped ahead.

He glanced back constantly. Eyes framed by oblong mirror glass.

Turn right. Exhilarating. Going up the hill. Accelerating. Two by two.

He checked back to see if I was still behind him. Intent eyes, I could see.

He took a sharp left. I accelerated up to him.

His eyes shifted from the internal revision mirror to the external and then back again.

He turned into a drive. He jumped from the car, not unlike a Toyota advert. He flicked his head at me in appreciation. Chin up. He was a blur of black polo shirt, as I accelerated past as he was obliterated by the house next door.


No comments: