Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How Petty Am I?

Mark W. came over with dinner for Shane. He made a great show of preparing the meal, even pouring drinks. All the time I was doing my thing, around and about, he even gave me a run down of the menu, as he was preparing it. And not once did he offer me any. Not that he had to, of course, but it would have been nice to have offered.

Then Mark W. and Shane had talks about the fines Mark W. continues to get in Shane's old car, which is still in Shane's name. They'd done this all before, but Captain Vague had somehow managed to screw it all up and not fix any of it and now it is heading to debt collectors, or court, or some such thing.

Once they were done, Shane came out to me and asked me if I had a couple of stamps.
“Sure,” I said. I picked up my wallet and started to look for them.
And, you know, just as I was about to pull them out, I thought, fuck off, you are rude enough with the dinner and then you want something from me, come on.
“Oh, sorry, I must have run out.”

I’m not like that, I’m really not. Most of my friends say I’m one of the most generous people they know, but there is something about Mark W’s self centred arrogance that just rubs me up the wrong way, sometimes.

And it makes me feel bad to act that way.

Mark W. looked straight at me as he left but didn't say goodbye. I know he can be vague, but please.

No comments: