Friday, June 15, 2012

Our Very Own Genius Bar

We became or own Genius Bar. Well, it was getting to that time when I had to start backing up specific files and copying others to USBs, so I could give up my lappy to those men in blue shirts behind their Scandinavian wood benches for an unspecified period of time.

"NO!" I moaned as I clutched its silver casing to my breast. "No!" I can't do it, I thought I could, but I can't! No, I can't! And you can't make me!"

"Okay," said Sam. "There is another way..."

"What? Yes! Tell me! Tell me! Anything. I'll do anything! I'm desperate! Please, what?"

"We can try to fix it ourselves," said Sam. Then he logged onto the internet and looked up problems with Apple MacBooks. You know, when idiots pour red wine into them, or drop a coffee cup on them, or pour gravy over them. There was plenty of info, pages of it. Then, after gleaning all the answers, he logged onto YouTube and found instructional videos on cleaning keys.

"Lucky you have a name product, I'd hate to be trying to find answers about a cheap knockoff laptop nobody has heard of."

Then it was miniature screw drivers and tweezers and monocles and pin spot lights and cotton wool buds and swabbing alcohol. Actually, we didn't have any swabbing alcohol, so we used hot water and lots of paper towel.

We were clipping off keys and detaching scissor mechanisms and separating and cleaning away the traces of oil.

When I say we, it was Sam, you understand with me helping as the trusty assistant. Well, you know, kind of looking on.

We cleaned all the parts and then reassembled it all.

And now it is better, not completely fixed, but better. The u, the i and the n, all working better. Well, they are working, where before they weren't. We may still have to take it to the Genius Bar yet, or we may have to perform surgery again, yet. We'll see. I'm hoping they may come good with use. I may be kidding myself, but I hope not.


No comments: