Saturday, June 16, 2012

Rain Rain Rain forced Us Into Retail Therapy

My sister Gill text me early about seeing mum, this afternoon, or tomorrow.

David called to rescheduled out food date that I had forgotten all about. Just go with it, I thought. To tell you the truth, I thought quickly, before I realised that I had, actually, forgotten.

It was 11.45.

I text Gill back and scheduled the visit for tomorrow morning. I haven’t been for, oh how long?

We headed to the city around midday, more so because that was the time of day that we got up, more so than that was the time we got organised. It was cold and grey and we settled for an old favourite Malaysian in Lygon Street, Killiney, and we ate Nasi Lemack. The restaurant was busy, full of people. Sam had fried chicken and I had curried chicken. Sam helped himself to my curried chicken straight up. He decided that my choice was bigger and that I had more food than he did, so he helped himself to it.

We walked through Carlton afterwards to the city. We headed down Cardigan Street and through RMIT. I love the architecture of RMIT. I love those predominantly clean straight lines of the nearly deco buildings. We walked down Swanston Street and I admired the transformation of Swanston Street into a walking promenade.

There was another of the desert shops opened in Swanston Street and I soooo wanted to go in and eat the jelly and the pearls and the mango custard, but Sam looked at my stomach and said no.

We headed to the Sony shop to have a look at the 7inch Sony tablet, which Sam clams he might need... does need… wants. He said that previously when he has asked for a better price they have said they can’t do one.

He’s funny.

We stopped in a clothes shop in Elizabeth Street and Sam bought a lovely chocolate brown jumper. We were being loud and funny and the French Bitch behind the counter was so not interested in helping us. “You can drop the attitude, you’re not in Paris now.”

We stopped in at the discount bookshop on the cnr of Elizabeth and Bourke Streets, however, Sam can’t find book shops interesting. Despite him often saying that it is always about Christian Fletcher, bookshops aren’t ever about Sam Cjang.

We went to Myer, so that Sam could look at the gadgets, while I looked at the books.

Afterwards, we headed back to the discount bookshop to see f they had the copy of the Sal Mineo biography I was looking for on Thursday. What was I thinking?

Then it had come over dark grey and the rain had started to fall. We had to scurry p the side of the mall lie rats p the side of a lane way. We went to BreadTop and bought buns as a desert shop replacement. We huddled under awning on the cnr of Russell and Bourke Streets trying to stay dry. We went to the Asian grocer in Russell Street and bought rice noodles and pork mince.

We ate a great pile of rice noodles with savoury pork mince as we watched Air Crash Investigations, as the fire burned and flickered on the walls about us.

I had a thought, that the bodies I the airplane crash would have ended up looking just like what was on our plates.

Some idiot forgot to turn the cabin pressurisation switch back from manual to auto.


No comments: