Friday, October 07, 2016

This is Harassment

Well. What is it they say, no where to hide? Josie (the new boss chick who took over from Jack) has been calling me constantly this week. Every day, three times yesterday. I told my friend Jill that it was bordering on harassment and she didn't see any humour in it.

"At least someone is calling you for work, be grateful."

Yeah, well that wasn't what I wanted to hear. Jill is home on an obese woman's emergency diet, so I am guessing her patience is thin. (Oh, making it personal to deflect the criticism, bad Christian) Ha ha, I was kidding, of course, the constant phone calls were really setting off my guilt about not working, but Jill didn't, exactly, see it that way. 

I told Josie I'd call her when I was back from my weekend away over the grand final weekend. No, I didn't go away, I've been here the whole time. It was an excuse, so I could cancel our meeting last Thursday.

Which part of, I'll call you, does this chick not understand?

Anyway, she called me Monday, she called me Tuesday and she called me 3 times on Wednesday. This seems a little obsessive, I thought to myself, when I was on my walk yesterday. Maybe, she has got an assignment for me. Maybe, it is an assignment I have done before? Maybe, it was a client that asked for me specifically. They do that, you know, despite the gruff exterior I display on here. So, what can I say, guilt kicked in, and I started to think that I needed to contact her.

Email is my preferred means of communication. I clearly have to train another one on this preferred method. 
Just email her, I told myself, don't think about the calls you have ignored, so what. Surely, she'd say she had a job for me, if she had a job for me in a return email. You'd think, wouldn't you? So I did. I emailed her.

She had no job. She was just trying to sure up her numbers. Keen to reschedule our meeting. Yeah, good for you, I thought.

Oh, there you go. I must reschedule my appointment with disappointment... er, her. Yeah. I can hardly wait.

Oh, dear universe, I must write something, so I don't have to go back to the salt mines. Please don't make me go back to the salt mines, just yet. Then I said real fast after that, dear universe, please don't let me horribly miscalculate and wake up at 75 penniless saying to myself, "Boy, did I get that horribly wrong." Then I giggled to myself, what is it they say, "It is better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable." Then I think to myself, You are the only person who has ever said that, you are quoting yourself. And I was sure that was some form of twisted megalomania. Then I thought about lunch.

No comments: