Monday, November 28, 2016

Diana Ross

I have never been much of a Diana Ross fan, not The Supremes, not her solo career. I always thought she was a light weight. A bit like Beyonce.

I liked Bette Midler and would dance around the sunroom to Live At Last on my own as a 15 year old… repeatedly. That was the only tell tale sign. I came late to being gay, the 1990s, and while I adore many soul divas, Diana Ross just never seemed to be one of them.

However, somehow I went from the daily news, to a YouTube clip, to Youtube, from car renovation shows, to entertainment, to a 1994 Diana Ross interview, you know, as you do, this morning, as I drank my morning coffee. And she seemed like a really together and gracious person. I don’t think I have ever heard her speak, I’ve just heard the maniacal diva , Miss Ross, rumours. So I watched a recent Oprah show featuring Diana Ross. And again, she seemed like a nice, down to earth person. She bought all of her kids on, she claimed to be just a mum, and all of her kids seemed happy and as though they adored her.

It got me thinking about her.

I had a Diana Ross anthology that my exboyfriend, Lauri, gave me, and I had a more recent album I bought in an opshop for 50c, which I had never bothered to download into my itunes. So I went and dug them out.


I've been listening to her on my daily walk. She has a much better voice than I ever gave her credit for, and she sings some great songs, some really great songs, but in the end, they are all just a bit the same.

Still, I have a much great appreciation for her, and I'd, perhaps, be tempted to listen to her again on another walk. I'd say she, tentatively, makes it onto my play list. Like Wikipedia says, more conformation needed.


No comments: