Thursday, January 09, 2020

Religious Discrimination

So, the religious discrimination laws? More flawed governing from this government, especially since, now correct me if I am wrong, their own enquiry said such laws weren’t needed. Of course, that isn’t what the self righteous wanted to hear. So, even from the outset, the perception is that these laws are coming from a place of bitterness, which comes from the place of thought that a certain group of people got privileges that go against the rules by which it is thought they should live.

So, what are these laws going to do? Laws that set the means by which one group can discriminate against another group. How well has that worked for all of us in the past? Do they (by they, I mean the people passing these laws into, well, law) think the group being discriminated against is going to say, “Oh, okay, rightio, if that is how it is going to be? Fair enough?” You know, because history is full of situations where that has occurred.

What do they think is going to happen? Is this more legislation from a government that doesn’t think? (Morrison’s, Abbott’s, Joyce’s, Andrew’s, Christensen’s, Hastie’s electorates all voted yes to marriage equality)

What are these laws going to do? Bring peace and harmony to the nation? I think not. I would suggest that can’t be found in historic events.

Smooth the relationship between the two groups, the newly legislated oppressors and the newly legislated oppressed? Again, not what I would expect.

How do you think it is going to go? The newly oppressed group has just come through a particularly difficult time in their history where large numbers of their members died, a time where the perception of the newly legislated oppressors was that a significant number of them didn’t care. And now this government is going to give that group the ability to discriminate. Couple that with the fact that the newly oppressed group ranks amongst its members some really vicious queens.

So… we’re heading towards an end well lived for all?

I have a colleague who I have found mildly annoying since she started work. And that is mostly because she is a talker. Oh. Dear god (do you like how I use god ironically?) shut up! And to a lesser extent, because she has that mindless positivity going on, you know, the type that the religiously deluded have. Funnily enough, we had a change of office, and she was moved closer to me, and I have found that I like her, not least of all because she says I make her laugh. Well, recently, she told me about her devout Christian faith and I could feel my hackles rising immediately. You know, old habits die hard when you are suddenly confronted with the enemy. I said nothing, of course. But you know, if someone like that took the religious discrimination laws as a free pass to say bigoted things, I don’t care what laws Scotty from marketing passes, I wouldn’t keep my mouth shut. At work, or not at work, I don’t care.

So logically what are these laws going to do? They are going to set us up for war, that is what they are going to do. You can’t really come to any other conclusion.

This is more legislation that the Morrison govt hasn’t fully thought through, and that is because they don’t want to think it through, because that is not the aim of these laws.


No comments: