Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Cooking Me Lunch

I was awake at 9am, ready to get up and go pick up Sam, since I had been so dense about it being Cup Day and him coming over after work.

I was showered and ready to go by 10.30.

There was no sound of Aby being up and about, despite there being some Lilly noise earlier, it was now quiet. I went up to the top room to see her and she had been vomiting from the codeine in the painkillers I had given her last night for her sciatica.
“Oh,” I said.
“I think I’ll be right now, thought.”
“I’m going to pick Sam up, so I’ll be back later.”
I’m sure Ab had said something last night about the possibility of codeine making her sick. I wondered if that is what she had said as I headed out to the car. I thought it was funny how we would do such things to ourselves, if that is, in fact, what she said.
But, I wanted to leave and her being sick threatened to get in the way. I wanted to spend her first day at my place doing what I wanted to do, suiting myself, if you like.
So, I left “I’ll be back later” as deliberately vague and scampered out to the car.

Sam handed me Secateurs and gloves, as soon as I got there, and pointed towards the garden. “My garden needs your attention.”
Kiss kiss babe.
He said he was cooking me fried rice for lunch, he’d told me yesterday in the failed conversation about Cup Day.

We both tendered the garden, stealing smiles at each other.

We get to watching documentaries on drugs – one each on Cocaine, meth, heroin, with lots of people shooting up, too much, too much and of course, god’s herb itself, marijuana.
I text Ab to say I had been caught up. I felt guilty, her first day at my place and she was sick and I abandon the house. I shouldn’t have, I know. What kind of friend am I? But, that is just how it worked out. She says Shane has come over to look after her and that everything was fine. I hoped that was true.

Sam and I watch Drugs, inc, documentaries about Cocaine, Crystal meth, heroin and marihuana. We were bemused by the smuggling methods and the unlimited funds of the Columbian cartels, we were amazed by the damage meth caused, we were squeamish about the intravenous injections of heroin and laughed about marijuana being labeled “God’s Herb,” as that is what I always tell Sam what it is.

We have opposing views on drug policy, mine is that it needs to be legalised and therefore the criminal element can be removed and then all the money from policing/detection/jails can then be put into medical programs/counselling. Sam thinks it needs to be policed for the good of society.

My little monster Sam's favourite drug is crystal meth.
My favourite drug would still be pot.

We got back to my place about 18.30. There appeared to be nobody home. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t slightly pleased by that. Sam was pretty quickly asking what we were going to eat. He wanted to go to Malaysian in Carlton. Sounds good, so we walked over there.

I tentatively headed up stairs to see if Ab was around, to ask her out for dinner too. I knew Shane had had trade around and I didn’t really want to invite him for dinner. I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t please that neither of them were around.
So Sam and I headed out the door quickly. And as if by some sort of karmic retribution, we both though we heard Lilly yelling out as we headed out the door to the front gate.
“Should we go and look?” asked Sam.
“But I checked, there is no where else they could be. Nah, let's go.”
What kind of friend would you s ay I was?

It was a lovely walk to Carlton. It was a lovely evening, even if it wasn’t especially hot, but it was warm enough. Not barmy, but mild. I love that walk from Nicolson Street to Rathdown between the Exhibition Buildings and the museum, it is an urban oasis, a constructed valley, between two urban ridges. The landscape of history meets the landscape of knowledge, with lovely long expanses and end of day shadows in between.

Dinner was lovely, the café was busy. We sat outside, surrounded by pretty boy students all feasting to the end of the weekend, well, holiday to be strictly correct.

We were back home by about 8pm, still there seemed to be nobody home.

Neither of us had a clue about the big race, nor did we care.

Shane came home pretty soon after that. He’d hired Pirates of the Caribbean 4, so we watched that. As with the other Pirates movie, I found it to be hard to follow and possibly nonsensical, although, it could have just been me.

Ab came home having been out for Vietnamese soup. Where she was earlier remains a mystery.

No comments: