Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I Dreamt About My Old Boss Again


I dreamt about my old boss again.

I was heading home with David K, don’t ask me why, I haven't worked with him for years, but, he was a part of that first team when I first worked at the black law firm, which included Bitch Face, Anorexic Belinda.

David and I walked around to the tram stop, after work, which was a big building where the Trams drove right up to the front, like a bus station. It was a deco building, complete with the punters dressed in trench coats and hats. There was a sea of faceless trench coats and hats, like a stylised Brack painting. Out the front of the building was a big waiting area; concrete, sharp lines. A square, if you like.

Everyone stood in rows waiting for the tram to arrive.

Anorexic Belinda was already standing there. I walked up and stood next to her, inadvertently. When I noticed her, I didn’t say anything, but I wanted to. I was itching to, you might sat. (not unlike the remaining cells of flesh must itch under her loose skin) I couldn’t help giving her the evil eye. I could feel my breathing turn confrontational, deeper and deeper, inside me. I could hear my breathing in my ears, like a heart beat.

She looked around. “Oh you are beautiful, Christian,” said Belinda. Sarcastically, of course, in that off-hand, holier than thou tone that she uses.
I couldn’t hold back. “Get fucked Belinda, why don’t you go and get fucked.”
“Oh here we go,” said Belinda. She stepped back, retreating. Her eyes loose in the eye sockets in her head, her teeth now far too big for her jaws, the skin stretched tightly across her now protruding cheek bones.

She went to stand at the back of the waiting area. I looked back at her.

“You’re not beautiful.” Hatred was on my tongue. "You are ugly, but how you look on the outside is the least of your problems."
"How dare you speak to me like that," she said. "Who do you think you are."
"You are a horror story, look at you," I said. "Mrs Bates."

Her face creased into pain and she began to cry. I didn’t expect that but made me feel good. Yes it did. It made me feel good. It was a win in a long line of losses with her.

David came back from somewhere and I told him what had happened. Then he seemed to disappear. Of course, he has been a long standing friendship with Belinda.

The waiting area filled up with people until it was packed, as the tram was coming down the narrow alleyway, which came to the front of the waiting area. The trouble was I didn’t know what tram to catch, David hadn’t told me. I asked the crowd, who seemed much bigger and taller than me, all of a sudden, with mouths that were lugubrious, big, gasping at the air to suck in life's oxygen.

Several people seemed to know David, all of them identified themselves as accountants and a discussion ensured as to which tram I should catch. They talked about the roads in the western suburbs, one disagreeing with the other, and another agreeing with the first guy.

"You must catch..."

"No, you must catch..."

No comments: