Friday, July 10, 2015

Don't Touch Your Face

Mazz's was talking about her mother taking her to the agricultural show when she was a kid, her mother would tell her that everything was covered in germs and bacteria.

"Don't touch your face," Mazz's mother used to tell her. "Don't touch your face."

Mazz mimicked her mother, when she said she felt like she was getting a cold. It was very telling, that one sentence explained an awful lot. I'm not sure why, may it was the way Mazz said it, you know, that moment of honesty.

Mazz has all sorts of hypochondriacal worries, which suddenly made sense. Funny about that, when your mother warned you not to touch your face when you may have come in contact with germs, that you'd grow up to have concerns about your health.

I find it interesting.

Mazz practically introduces herself as gluten intolerant. I went to buy her a coffee and she told me she needed Zymil, as lactose doesn't agree with her. The cafe was out of Zymil, so I got her almond milk thinking that was the closest to lactose free and she told me that she had to be careful with nuts and she wouldn't drink it.

I guess, it is interesting for me, as my mum told me it was good to get dirty. "A bit of dirt never hurt anyone," said my mum. "In fact, it gives you immunity, if it does anything."

And if I ever tried to pull a sickie from school.
"Mum, I don't feel well..."
"Go to school and you will feel better."
"Mum, I think I am dying..."
"Get to school and you'll recover," my mum would say. "Nobody ever dies at school."

No comments: