Saturday, November 21, 2015

Secret in Their Eyes

We went to see Secret in Their Eyes, mostly because of the said to be amazing scene when Roberts finds out her daughter has been murdered, when her partner discovers the daughters body in the dumpster at a crime scene they are sent to investigate.

David called in the afternoon to chat and we got onto the new Julia Roberts movie and that we'd both heard that she got a standing ovation from the crew after she'd shot the pivotal scene.

David wanted to see it, I wasn't so sure. (I want to see the Peanuts Movie, so what did I know) But, I did vote for it. Sam did not want to see it, he wanted to see Spectre, so did Lachlan.

What can I say about it? The first shot of Nicole Kidman and she is in a Chanel Suit... as you'd expect. Julia Roberts was such a sad sack throughout the film, I wondered at one stage if she'd, actually, taken her teeth out for effect. The cinematography was great, it worked. I didn't mind the jumping backwards and forwards between the different 13 years apart eras, I found that well done and easy to follow, although, David and Lachlan didn't like it. The much hyped daughter death scene was okay. Nyeh. The dialogue was wooden. The plot improbable, or just not that well played out. Nicole was her usual clipped vocal breathy minimalist delivery style, although her interrogation scene was probably my favourite. I didn't really buy the twist, I didn't think it was really all that plausible, although, I guess it worked in the much loved original Argentinian version.

I thought the most entertaining part of the film was when the woman in front of David turned to glare at him when he'd giggled with Lachlan one too many times. It was like a Meerkat death stare. I'm sure her head rotated 360 degrees. Then she dramatically changed seats, with a harrumph. This was followed by David giggling at her for shifting seats, laughing at her in defeat, which she didn't take quietly.  

"You are just rude!" she hissed.

David leant over and said quietly, "Get over it, darling."

"No I won't, DARLING!" she replied. (She was a bogun scorned)

You and your bad perm, I wanted to add, but I didn't.

David and Lachlan giggled some more.

As we exited the cinema to the under ground car park, the consensus was that the film was rubbish and that David had one more chance to redeem himself, as he'd picked the equally disliked San Andreas recently. But, as I have always said, David has questionable taste in movies at the best of time. (His favourite movie is the dire Notebook, enough said)

Finally, I don't know to what the title was referring? Nah, no idea. I must ask the others.

No comments: