Sunday, December 06, 2015

Sunday Shopping

I woke at 6.30am with a headache. Milo was lying next to me, against my leg. His cute little face looking at me with big eyes. He starts licking me, seemingly, as soon as my eyes open. I try to keep him from waking Sam, who is only just getting used to the cat sleeping on the bed. Where else would a cat sleep, I ask?

It was quiet downstairs, the early morning was grey. I had drunk a few coffees by the time Sam arrived downstairs. And he made me one as he always does.

We drove to Victoria Street, as we didn’t feel like carrying the groceries on the long walk home, which would have been a longer walk today, no doubt. (It is amazing how the distance walked is in direct correlation with the exhaustion felt) We parked in the usual place, Park Street, there were any number of car parks there, for any number of cars, who says the inner suburbs are hard to park in, thankfully we only had one car, and most other people seemingly had none.

It was an overcast muggy kind of day. I wore jeans and wished I’d worn shorts. Sam wore shorts, he beamed with an air of superiority. I regretted my choice.

We ate Vietnamese spicy soup. The door to the restaurant was propped open, as the day was muggy and airless and when the rather handsome waiter guy pointed at a table in the middle of the room, I asked for the table by the open door. When he pointed at the table in the middle of the room, I asked for the table by the door again. If he’d pointed at the table in the middle of the room again, I would have insisted on being seated at the table by the door, but he relented and pointed at the table by the door. There was a breeze blowing and it blew against my back and was the perfect place to be seated on a muggy day. We ate spring rolls and spicy soup.

I bought Granny Smith apples and pears from plastic surgery’s grocery shop. 
(We have nick names for the shops so we know what the other one is talking about when we give directions, or say we'll meet there) Then we went to Saigon Village in The Hive and bought the rest of the fruit and veg. Sam went into the shop, I sat on the chairs outside.

I started to write my journal on my phone, as the world passed me by, when suddenly a guy came running out of Aldi with a backpack in his hands, in hot pursuit was one of the Aldi boys. The backpack boy dropped the contents of his backpack onto the floor, a carton of toothpaste, it looked like the whitening variety from where I was sitting, which slid across the floor in all directions. The Aldi Boy stopped to pick up the stolen lute and backpack boy made his escape. The girl’s from Saigon Village pitched in and helped pick up the stolen merchandise. Who steals a box of toothpaste? A robber with a penchant for white teeth?

I had to shop in Woollies upstairs, as Nan (Sam's name when he's acting older than his years) was damaged, as he kept insisting. He sat on the bench at the front of the shop, “I am too exhausted,” and gave orders. He called me tree times while I was inside the shop. I bought bread, two loaves of sliced wholemeal to replenish the freezer, a sour dough and olive loaf and a fruit loaf. Cream. Milk. Chicken Stock. But not bacon, I forgot the bacon. Probably best.


We took Buddy to the dog park at 5pm, which, as it turned out, was the hottest part of the day at 29.5 degrees, or something like that. There were a number of short-legged dogs, Jack Russell types and 2 shaggy mutt types, and Buddy was the king of the little guys, being taller than the rest. He personally greets them all, and there is bum sniffing for ages.

We ate cauliflower soup for dinner. I stirred the beginning of it, the onion and the potato. I was stirring as the cauliflower when it was first put in, as the multitude of green caterpillars appeared out of their nooks and cranny’s due to the heat of the flame. Sam didn’t seem to think it was any great problem, none the less he didn’t like me calling it caterpillar soup.

I couldn’t help think of those guys in northern NSW and Queensland who’d eaten a certain type of slug on a dare, I know, who does that, who ended up brain damaged, as I pulled the chunks of cauliflower out of which green slugs crawling and handed them to Sam to de-bug. Euw!

Let’s hope brain damage doesn’t happen. I don’t fancy spending the rest of my days with brain damage. I’m not that convinced of life being able bodied and smart, to be in any way diminished would be unbearable.

This relentlessly awful world that we live in, where the most wealthy amongst us are happy to see the poorest of us being treated appallingly, squashed, maimed and killed, just so that the wealthy can enjoy pretty carrots in the supermarket, you know, some days I almost find it too much to bare. The most affluent members of the world’s society destroy approx. 30% of their fruit and veg because it isn’t attractive to look at, is really just one fact too many against the survival of the human race.

And the list of atrocities perpetrated by civilised society against each other to maintain their selfish, greed ridden, increasingly shallow lifestyles just spirals out of control from there really. Collectively, we should all hang our heads in shame.

It stayed warm for the night. The fan whirred in the corner.


I put up a photo of Buddy looking excited standing up looking over the back of the couch with the caption, Just told Buddy that Mark and Luke will be here in two weeks.

Luke sent me a message asking me to change the post, deleting his and Mark’s time table of being in Melbourne. I asked him why, but he didn’t answer, so I called him before I went to bed.

He didn’t want Fen getting wind of them being in Melbourne. There are still one, or two, people Fen is friends with on Facebook, and it was still possible he could see my Facebook post.

Apparently, Mini hasn’t heard from him and the police went around to talk to him, as he has breeched Mini's AVO again, and he wasn’t at their house in Point Cook. Apparently, nobody knows where he currently is. It gave me a bad feeling. I hope he is not on his way to Marshall (Mark and Luke's place). It is not that much of a stretch to think Mini and April would be with Mark and Luke.

As it turns out, Mini’s sister’s house was broken into by Mini’s sister’s ex-boyfriend high on Ice and he stabbed some other guy who was staying in the arm. Then he escaped to parts unknown. So Mini, April, her sister and whoever else have been moved to a motel until the deranged male ex-partners can be located.

What kinds of lives do these people live?

I headed to bed at midnight, after trying to make my journal entry for 3rd December interesting enough for my blog. Yes, I am still wasting my time on my blog. (Oh, I guess I should have taken that out for my, actual, blog entry?) I guess I need to make it worthwhile if I am spending a lot of work time on it. It was stuffy in the bedroom from the warm day. Sam was snoring, as you would expect.

No comments: