Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Doctor Calls

If the doctor tells you that you should come in sooner than later to see your mother because she can’t have too long to live, I guess you should take their advice. Too late is exactly that.

"She's taking very shallow breaths," said the doctor. "It's no kind of existence."

My sister and I were going Sunday, anyway. We'd go Sunday.
At the last minute, I decided to go tomorrow. My dad had died alone. Mark had offered and so had Luke.

When we woke up, Sam said he’d stay home and come with me to see Lottie.

Sam and I took Buddy for a walk to the dog park at 7am. It was shaping up to be a hot day. There were lots of people in the park with their dogs at that time of the morning. It was nice. The first visit back to the dog park since getting attacked by one of those pig faced looser dogs. This thing just latched onto Buddy’s face for no reason. Buddy is such a happy dog, he just wants to get on with everybody. He was his normal self. The air was fresh, crisp and clean.

Mark cleaned the back yard. Hosed the paving and scrubbed the green plastic chairs.

Sam and I went to see Lottie. The sun was shining. She was in her chair, as usual. I held her hand, feeling her skin against mine. I think you should do that when the doctor tells you she doesn’t have much time left. She didn’t really react to anything I said. I just sat there and held her hand and talked for as long as I could. I held her hand against my face. There was a man with a guitar singing Xmas carols. I sang along, singing Lottie Christmas carols, harmonising with the guitarist.

The nurse told me that Lottie had been taken off all her prescriptions. Everything.

Then we sat with her for a bit longer.

We ate lunch at Bamboo. Better be safe than sorry, the other two never eat until midnight.

Sam and I stopped into see Guido on our way home.


We worked in the garden. Potted plants. Took photos with my new camera in the golden afternoon sun.

We ate Korean for dinner.

Got stoned. Am I ashamed to say? I don’t think so. It’s Xmas.

No comments: