Tuesday, December 01, 2015

I Shouldn't Say This.... Somewhere Off Screen a Disgruntled Voice Calls, Well Don't!

Milo was cuddled up to me as I lay awake in bed. It was 6.45am. A good time to wake up.

It was a sunny morning, the birds chirped, screeched, in the gum tree in the back yard.

Sam is working from home today, he tells me.

“Why are you working from home today?”

“To do work for [name of private client].”

“See, it just proves my point that people working from home are not working.”

Sam gave me a coy look. I went to kiss him goodbye, but Buddy, who was between us, jumped up and got in the way, as he is want to do.

First day of summer, I can already feel the dreaded heat. The sun is hot behind my office window again. Ah summer, be kind, not too hot. I love a mild summer, yes I do.

F was in just before 9am.

She told a racially charged joke about Aboriginals, I would never say something like that. One of our Aboriginal staff with who we have had trouble regarding their pay details, who has consequently over paid, mostly because useless managers couldn’t get their details correct.

F said, “I shouldn’t say this, however, (laugh) [usually when somebody starts off what they are saying with, I shouldn’t say this, I want to say, well don’t] Being overpaid would make him a hero in his community.”

I was taken aback. Oh? I thought. I had no reply. I couldn’t even laugh away our collective embarrassment on that one.

It may appear that I am blunt and loose with what I say, but I am not bigoted in what I say. Sure, I might criticise the stupid people, but they come in all shapes and colours and there are so many of them. It may appear that I say sexist things about woman, but that’s because I work with women, and I am just talking about the people I work with. I don’t tend to talk about the smart ones, I guess I should. I would never tell a racist joke, I just don’t really think that way. I’d tell a gay joke, if it was funny, but then, I am allowed to tell them.

I came home at lunchtime and had Thai Red Curry with Sam. He text me when it was ready. It was lovely. He cooks good food, my boyfriend. I walked back to work with a full tummy.

We got everything done, naturally and I left at 5.45pm.

I went for a walk for an hour after work. It was cold and threatened to rain the whole time. I text Sam to tell him. He replied, Walk Faster. Sam took Buddy to the dog park. He text me that it was cold. I don’t think he believes me when I text him the same thing when I am out walking, I think that he thinks I am making excuses not to walk.

We ate fried rice for dinner. Yum, yum. Two great meals today from chef Sam. He’s funny, he always says to me when Mark and Luke are here, What should I cook? He needn’t worry, he can cook anything out of his repertoire, it is all pretty good.


No comments: