Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Chasing Pavements

It was a lovely day walking into town listening to Adele. I turned back as I headed up the main street and waved to Sam, as he headed in the other direction to work, not caring a bit about the guy walking up behind me watching me. We turn back and wave in the mornings until we both disappear out of sight.

I walked to the free tram stop, well, actually the stop before the free section, as I am too lazy to cross the Collins Street Spring Street intersection. I am listening to Adele. One of the new Bombadier trams came shushing down McArthur Street. I had to leg it the last few metres to get on. It was hot inside. I went and sat down in a corner seat in the quaddy (four, not crippled) seating arrangement, with all the other seats taken. I wrote a small poem about the incident last Friday, but then felt the sweat dripping down the sides of my face, so I pulled my headphones off, they make me sweat, but it was no good. Did they have the heating on? So I struggled back through the sea of knees and went and stood where there was more air around me. I was going to get off at the next stop and walk, but the tram in the morning seems to stop at every possible reason to stop, so it was a while before it even looked as though I was going to be able to get off. I managed to find the aircon sweet spot, such as it was. The air was seeping in weakly, but it was enough to cool me, just. What is it with the air system on modern trams?

Oh, I am turning into such a grump. There was a really annoying, hot woman chatting to an attractive man. She just kept laugh/talking. Ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha. Everything she said was a barely hidden desirous giggle. Oh stop it, I thought, but she persisted. Just offer to suck his cock and shut up. Er! I thought. She was clearly taken with him. He seemed to laugh too, he was clearly up for it. No, he was. The two of them ha ha ha ha, he he he he. Then he’d find whatever she had said just adorable and he’d laugh. Ho ho ho ho. Oh for goodness sake, get a room!

The mornings should be quiet, it is not time for chatting. It is time for quiet contemplation for the day ahead.

The cool air blew gently and cooled my mood.

Then I remembered my headphones in my hand, I’d cooled down enough to put them back on. so I hit the on switch and slid them back on my head. Adele started singing, Chasing Pavements. I love headphones so. All the talkers, all the gigglers, all the whiners (I'm not missing the irony) are suddenly blocked out. I should wear head phones all the time.


No comments: