Sunday, January 01, 2017

Happy New Year

We came home and smoked pot and ate mince pies and drank tea.

Charlie text in the afternoon, joking about needing somebody to take care of Pebbles... poor Fluff, all those explosions going off.

We watched TV in the afternoon and evening.

We ate rice paper rolls for dinner.

We ate sweet tofu with a ginger/sugar sauce.

Leonard came downstairs and said happy new year. He was probably going to work, he does all the double pay kinds of shifts, it allows him to live.

Andy was going to a dinner with Luciano in Carlton.

Mitch had two days off so, no doubt, he was going to get drunk so, no doubt, he was going to pick up boys.

The last thing I remember was a doco on… um… oh... something.

Sam woke me from sleep on the couch and, momentarily, I had no idea what he was doing. Where am I?

“Come on, wake up.”

“Why are you waking me up?”

“It’s time,” said Sam.

“Time for what,” I said, as I struggled to get up. “I need a piss.”

“Oh come on,” said Sam. “3, 2, 1, Happy New Year.”

“Oh… yes… happy new year,” I said, still somewhat dazed.

We kissed.

The fireworks exploded like warfare around me.

Sam took my hand. “Here, cover Buddy’s other ear.”

We covered Buddy’s ears. He barked, once, or twice, like he didn’t know what was going on, but mostly he just sat quietly as the world exploded outside.

The house smelt of gun powder once it had all stopped.


2 comments:

Adaptive Radiation said...

I love that sweet tofu dessert. It's on my list of things to eat when I go to Hong Kong. I have nostalgic memories of vendors selling them on the street.

FletcherBeaver said...

Sam made the sauce for it, an it tasted like the authentic sauce. Yum. Yum. I love it.