Friday, January 13, 2017

I Guess It Was Kind Of Sweet

I headed down to the Post Office to pay the gas bill. Mark always laughs when I tell him that.


"Did you buy a stamp, too, nan?" he'll often quip.

Then I headed to Cash Converters to look at the cds. I buy lots of cds from cash converters for $1. Load them into my iTunes, so the cd only has to work once and then I can toss it. I don't, but I could. They go in a box in the attic, just in case somebody else wants it, and I no longer have to worry about lending them out to people. This way, I don't really care if they come back. 

Usually, I get to spend sometime going through the cd rack on my own, it is kind of meditative. Today, however, as I was standing there flicking through, somebody was suddenly standing next to me.

“Oh maaateee,” she said to her, um, “better half,” right into my right ear. “Cds for a dollar, maaate, for a dollar. I have to get me some cds, they are just a dollar.” She had on one of those twisted tops that unnaturally separated her breasts pushing each of them out to an extraordinary point. Her skirt was just a little too short and her hair just a little too thick. She had a mouth like a muppet.

“Rightio,” said her partner, with his mullet hair style and his sagging track pants. He looked a little hen-pecked, the type that might just snap one day and kill the bitch. And everyone who knew them would shake their heads and say it was totally out of character. But, maybe that was just me projecting. He wandered off to look at the game consoles, or to stare mindlessly at the cricket on the TVs.

Then she was in front of the cd racks with me, pushing me out of the way. Well, not really, but as I moved along, she moved right in next to me. Grrrrr, I thought. Then she was picking up the cds and telling me which ones she thought were good. Then she was recommending which ones she thought I should buy.

Really, I thought. I smiled, I hope it was sweetly. Oh, I shouldn’t be mean, it was kind of sweet. Kind of.


No comments: