Thursday, January 05, 2017

Pretty In Pink

My pretty in pink garden suddenly stood out to me, today, when I was heading down to Coles, so I stopped to take a photo. An old woman came walking around the corner, as I stood there lining up the shot. She had on a floral house dress, over which she wore a beige cardigan, she had on socks and an old pair of men’s loafers. I thought she looked like Catherine Tate’s nan. I thought to myself, there’s an old Fitzroy girl if ever I saw one. I wondered if she resembled Elsie the old girl who owned my house before me, whom I never met. She stopped for me to finish taking my photos and naturally we made eye contact.

“You never know, luv,” she said. “One day you might own a house just like it.”

I looked at the house and then looked back at her. “It would be a dream,” I replied, without thinking too much. My answer amused me.

“That’s the ticket, duck,” she said. And she kept walking.

I chuckled to myself. “Happy New Year,” I said.

“To you to, hon,” she said. “Dreams don’t cost you anything.”


No comments: