Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Gotta Luv the Light

The sun shone down beautifully all day, the light sparkled, and it was hot. The hottest day all year, well, you know since winter. Lovely. I wore shorts for the first time this year, well, you know since winter. The dark is over, the cold has receded, the days are getting longer, and the warmth is on its way. I shivered with anticipation of summer, the first time I have done that since winter.

Actually, I quite like winter, and I hate the extreme heat of mid summer, never the less, I love the light and the longer days of summer, despite the heat. The warm, minty breath of summer floated through the house all day, that fresh air that feels as though it has never been sullied, never been anything but new and fresh.

I washed Buddy late morning, he gets a rash in spring, it is some kind of allergy, the vet thinks. I'm going to have to wash him fortnightly with medicated shampoo, maybe that will help. He comes upstairs and plods into the bathroom and climbs into the shower without a complaint. We sat together on the floor of the shower while we let the shampoo sit on his skin for 10 minutes. he just looks at me with his big, brown eyes. I'm sure if he could shrug and say, "And? What now?" He would. He did.

Sam came home and cooked chicken schnitzels and salad for lunch.  Yum, yum, yum. You'd think, me being home, I'd cook the schnitzels, but I didn't. Sam, of course, says I should, in those moments when he is fishing for relationship points, but he likes doing things his way, and he'd always cook, we both know that.

I trimmed the creeper on the side wall in the afternoon. The wretched creeper on the sidewall? The creeping fig that has turned into a monster, with its small heart shaped leaves now as big as hands. I listened to the latest Mick Jagger tracks, Gotta Get a Grip and England Lost. The day disappeared. 

No comments: