Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Is This What SnowFlake Means?

I went to make a purchase. The items I wanted were $1.25 each, or 10 for $10. 

As the girl rang the items up, she said, "Have you checked them?"

No, I hadn't, but I did. And, as it turned out, one of the items was faulty.

"I'll just have the 9 then," I said.

"That will be $11.25," she said.

"Oh, couldn't I just have 9 for $10?" I was in a hurry and it was a charity shop and the money was going to a cause I believed in anyway.

"Um, no," she said. She looked quizzical. "Because 9 come to $11.25." 

"Really?" I said.

"Yes," she said.

"Okay... then, I'll get another one then."

She shrugged.

I went and selected another item and came back and put it on the counter. "That seems to be a bit silly," I said.

"How so?" she said.

"10 for $10," I said. "But I was willing to take 9 for $10."

"Oh, is it 10 for $10," she said. "Sorry, it is my first day here."

She turned to the fat queen who was serving on the other register. "Is it 10 for $10," she asked.

"Yes," he said. He looked at my items. "Oh... no... sorry," he dithered, "they are not 10 for $10, they are $1.25 each."

"No," I said. "They are 10 for $10."

"No, I'm sorry but they are not," said the queen.

"They have always been 10 for $10," I said. "I buy them often."

The queen started to open his mouth, but I spoke over him.

"Would either of you like to go and get somebody who knows what is going on?" I looked from one to the other. "I'll wait."

Well, they took offence. Apparently, I was being rude and hard to deal with.

No comments: