Thursday, December 28, 2017

Lunch in Town

We drove to Mullumbimby for lunch. The sun was shining, the day was hot. I ate Pad Thai. Mark had fish cakes. Sam ordered an entry of fish cakes and some noodle thing.

The waitress looked at me and said, "Are you Pat's uncle?" It was like being back in Bolago all over again, everybody knows everybody in a small town. I never like it when I first went to Bolago, but I kind of liked it by the end.

"No, I'm not," I said. I didn't bother to add that I was from Melbourne, what would have been the point?

"Jeezs, you could be," she said.

I smiled back at her and shrugged.

The Pad Thai was average. Oh, that's mean, when you come from Melbourne that arguably has the best food in the world, it is easy to judge... and I have a little place in Smith Street that cooks excellent Pad Thai. There was some confusion about the fish cakes, as the two serves came out on one plate, who does that? The noodles were noodles, I mean if you can't cook noodles...

No comments: