Saturday, February 18, 2023

It's A Forever Thing

We kind of looked for bulldog puppies today. Sam just started looking. Neither of us need all that much encouragement. 

You know, I miss having two bulldogs.

I miss them walking single file out the back for a wee together after their breakfast.

I miss them both trying to get into the car at the same time.

I miss them trying to drink out of the water bowl at the same time.

I miss them standing at the front gate side by side as if they are commenting on the neighbourhood.

I miss them both standing at the kitchen door waiting for food.

I miss them cuddled up somewhere side by side. Asleep somewhere touching, so often with a body part touching the other one.

I miss them sitting on the couch together viewing the world.

I miss them sitting together in one of their beds at night.

We even contacted a breeder making enquiries. She didn't have any, but she put us onto someone who does.

Then we think about it. Sam promised his parents he'd take them to Tokyo.

"We can't go away anywhere with a puppy," says Sam

"But," I say. "Am I coming on that trip?"

"Yes, I hope so," Sam says.

"Wouldn't it be nice for you to spend time with you parents, just the 3 of you?"

"Don't you want to come?"

"It's not that I don't want to come," I say.

"That's what it sounds like," says Sam.

"You know, it’s just the language thing," I say. (Sam's parents don't speak English) "Otherwise..."

"Stuff the language thing," says Sam. "They will go and do their thing, and then you and I can do our thing."

"But, if I stay home I could look after the puppy."

Sam didn't seem nearly as keen on the puppy after that. 

Oh, that’s not true, he’s still keen, but it’s a big deal getting a new puppy, not something to be done lightly, or on a whim. 

It is forever after all, no excuses, and anything forever needs to be thought about seriously.

But, I reckon I can hear the pitter pat of little paws not that far off in the future. The idea keeps buzzing around in our brains.


No comments: