Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Good Morning Man

I walk the same way to work every day. It is my contribution to the environment, how many of you can match that? I love the old shop fronts. They used to bet in the upstairs of some of these places. Illegal gambling houses. When my neighbour, Gordon, first moved here, there were still wooden lookouts on the backs of some of them, but they are all gone now, everything is getting renovated.

I live in what was once the red light district. The house over the road was purpose-built as a brothel. I find that, somehow, comforting. All that pleasure that's come before me.

I was horrified when the Catholic university moved into the big vacant building on the corner of Victoria Parade. What a dichotomy, landing that in Fitzroy. The anti-pleasure brigade. My mother always said it was the religion of hypocrites. It has its benefits though. Good perving. Blue sky. Sunshine. At least they planted trees.

I walk up Nicholson and across Gertrude. So often walking towards me was the same man, every morning at 8am. He reminds me of Nigel Hawthorne, the actor. After passing each other each morning after morning for the longest time - don't you think it's strange when people do the same things as you, at the same time - we began to smile. A nod, a smile, recognition.

I'm not sure who said it first, I think he did. I'm usually a bit inward in the mornings, not talking until I have to, when someone requires an answer. Not that I'd say I'm bad in the mornings, like, you know, those people who always say they are putrid, unbearable, to who morning is always bad. Can't talk. Can't stand people talking to them. Those who have to stop giving people lifts to work, because they always insist on talking. I'm not one of those. Just quiet, taking it slow.

Good morning, he said.

Yes, good morning, I replied. I was secretly pleased. As pleased as the next person with a little recognition, lets be honest.

Good morning, we say every morning now.

If we're not within earshot, he lifts his hand with his finger pointed and I nod.

He's as pleased as I am, I can see it on his face.

I find I even look for him, if I don't see him around.


No comments: