Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sickness Abounds

This was the email I sent to Tom, this morning -
I've got a sore toe, sore knee, sore forearm, sore elbow. I have a bad, dry cough and I feel cold-like sick. At least, I don't have a head ache today, but, I guess, the day is still young.
How are you?
I wasn't to know that during the day my elbow would swell like a baboon's arse, to such a degree that I'd be having it cut open by 5pm and drained of puss.
Apparently, I have a major infection.
Have I been feeling unwell? asked the doctor.
I have been feeling like a crock of shit! Doc.
I'm not surprised, she said.

This was Tom's email that awaited me when I got home.
How are you? How was your weekend?
Mine was very quiet, I barely left the house. I have “kidney failure” apparently – I’m still pissing so apparently it’s not deadly. They told me this on Friday. Of course, I pooh-poohed that and said, “I’m dehydrated! I’ll go home and drink!”
Well, I drank and I drank and I drank and yesterday my kidneys still only showed “10-18 per cent” functioning. 
So, today I am waiting for them to call when they have a bed.
I've had to withdraw from most of Uni, already missed last week.
Oh it’s all ‘challenging’! I don’t like having to change my plans!
BUT, I will let them do what they need to do and finally let my body rest, as well.
Anyway that’s me. Grrr!
Gimme a call on the mobile sometime soon?
xxxx T
I wasn't to know Tom was admitted to hospital in the afternoon. I was going to go and visit him, but my elbow is very sore and I don't think I could drive. I know I couldn't drive, maybe, if I had an automatic, but I don't. It's my left elbow, I'm sure I couldn't change gears and steer, at the same time.
I can't bend it above my chest, which may be because of the way it's bandaged up rather than the incision itself. I laughed, when I tried to drink my tea while I was on the phone, even when I swapped hands, it was still useless. I can't work two arms at once, no matter what I have in each hand.
When the local anaesthetic wore off, it really started to hurt. 
Michael and I didn't speak. Nothing, not a peep.

1 comment:

Bold oy! said...

It sounds like a staff infection.
Staff can be hard to get rid of; I had it once and when it came back after the second time of antibiotics I was desperate enough to follow a friends advice: drink a glass of morning pee every morning for a week.
It was amazing, I stopped a day early because the staff was gone.

Well, I hope you get better soon.